Dream Big … Take Action
The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step — Chinese Proverb
It is the beginning of a new year and your mind is filled with dreams and aspiration for the year. So what’s next? Having desires for the year is just the beginning, what you do with those dreams/aspirations will determine if they will ever become a reality. Below are a few tips I have found very valuable.
1. Clearly define your goals: Clearly define your goals by asking yourself these questions: i) What do I want to accomplish? ii) By when do I want to accomplish them? Write your answers down and look at it regularly . Last year, one of my goals was to increase my fitness level by running regularly. Prior to 2014, I worked out regularly but was never a runner. I set a goal to run a 10k race by November of 2014. This goal is specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timely, a clearly defined goal should be.
2. Take action: Take the first step, and at your own pace establish a routine that works best with your schedule. For my fitness goal last year my first step was to seek advice. I spoke with two friends that were runners about my goals. I received guidance on how to get started, especially the gears I should buy and pitfalls to avoid. I started running with an experienced runner, she became my personal coach, I found the relationship extremely valuable to accomplishing my fitness goal. I developed a running routine that fitted well into my daily schedule.
3. Be disciplined and committed: Irrespective of what you plan to accomplish, the importance of self-discipline cannot be over-emphasized. There will be many days you won’t feel like following your established routines, your sense of commitment to your goals will come handy on such days. Sometimes you will try and fail, that is okay, start again. There were many days I didn’t feel like getting up to run, there were days I could not run as far as I wanted but I refused to give up. Today, the joy of accomplishing the goal makes the sacrifice really worth it.
You can make your dreams a reality…so go for it!
(photo credit: Dreamstime)
Latest posts by J. B Olayanju (see all)
- 2 Reasons You Should Not Quit - October 22, 2017
- 2 Simple Strategies To Spring Forward…Finish Strong - October 7, 2017
- How To Stand Out Of The Crowd - September 24, 2017